Saturday, July 19, 2008

20 July 2008

6 down, 28 more to go.

On Thursday, the side effects fr0m the Chem0 came knocking. I was nauseous, my hands were numb (chemo destroys nerve endings) and I had FEVER. Fever is a taboo for Chemo patients because of the risk of infection. According to the friendly guide to Chemotherapy folder, I have to be rushed to the A&E if my temperature goes above 38 degress. I was at 38.2 degrees. Edmund and my mum rushed me to the A&E at NUH . This is when the nightmare began.

We got there at about 10pm. The A&E was very crowded, comprised of family members, nurses and police officers. I think for every patient admitted to the A&E, there would be at least 5 family members tagging along.

I was pushed to the waiting area to be attended. Nevermind that I was only attended 4 hours later, the waiting area was filled with germs. Yeeks. My immunity was very low and it would be terrible if i were to catch any other infections. Everytime someone coughs around me, I will adjust my mask. This is how paranoid I was.

It didnt help that there werent any wards available at that time. Therefore, I spent the whole night at the waiting area, with the germs. I didnt sleep at all. It was too noisy. :(

Over the past few days, my temperature has gone haywire. I was either sweating pints or shivering. Well, at least the docs say that my fever is not due to any infection.

I was given another pack of blood and was sent home. :)

No more A&Es for me.




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a wonderful world of paranoia for us. Haha

I hv hand sanitiser everywhere I go and handkerchief when I need to go out. And mask in hospital is a must.

SM

Anonymous said...

Your attitude, strength and generosity of sharing this trying period of your life is indeed admirable!I do wonder if I could ever be even half like you..Thanks and may you be blessed for being YOU!
From regular reader,I.V.

Anonymous said...

What a shame that A&E NUH is so poorly managed; they couldn't even bend the rules on the queue system to attend to your condition right away. Your immunity WAS at risk!However,it seems that regular blood donors have the benefit of being attended to earlier. What irony!

Shandy said...

Just to add to the frustrating experience.

After we sent you to the A&E and was received by the duty nurse, they sent us to the waiting area. During that 4 hrs wait, there were no updates and we didnt even know whether we were at the right area. All they could do was to ask us to sit down and wait in a cough infected area. Mummy and I could not stand it and waited in the open area.

No more A&E for us please.

Edmund